Water from bathroom faucet smells funny - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Water from bathroom faucet smells funny

Posted: 9 Aug 2010 2:11 PM By: A-Man Replies: 4

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Water from bathroom faucet smells funny

The water that comes out of the faucet in my bathroom smells and tastes like rotten eggs.  I know for sure that it is not the drain because I ran water into a cup without any going down the drain , then left the room and the smell was present in the water.  The smell gradually decreases as the water runs (never totally goes away), but later returns after the faucet has not run for a while.  I replaced the faucet, vanity, and water lines myself before we moved in. This is the only faucet in the house that has this problem.   Does anyone know how I can fix this.  Thank you.

False
  • Re: Water from bathroom faucet smells funny

Hot water?  Cold water? or both?   Hot water tanks nearing or at the end of their lives will cause the hot water to smell funny---rotten egg smell is sulfur sourced.  The line(s) which feed your bathroom faucet could be older than  the other lines or have a longer run resulting in more deposits in the lines causing the bad odor.  Suggested test:  disconnect the faucet and run water from the supply lines to determine if the faucet is problem.  Hopefully, a bona fide plumber will weigh in on your problem.

False

Are you on private well water or city water? If on well water it may be a iron bacteria issue if the odor is in the cold water. If you don't use tidy bowl or something like it in the toilet then check the back of the toilet for a brown slimy growth. If it is present then you have a iron bacteria problem. The best way to deal with it is to shock the well and the pipes with chlorine.

False

ROTTEN EGG SMELL, is usually sulpher Water-Right makes a fantastic system that works great on this.  It is called the "Sanitizer Plus Softenor"  it will treat up to .5 mg/l of sulpher, correct your hardness, Ph, and Iron.  If you have brown slimmy substance on the inside of the toielet tank walls, your iron level is high enough to create bacteria.  The sanitizer will correct this because it makes it's own chlorine to sanitize with.  If your Sulpher is above .5 mg/l you will also need Water-Right's IMS-04 Sulpher trap.  This is a back washing filter designed to gas off the sulpher gas, before it is intorduced to your household plumbing.  I recommend both appliances be proceed with a AP-500 whole house filter in the 15- 20 micron range and floowed by a 5-10 micron range AP-110 polishing carbon filter.  Do this and your water will be better then the stuff in plastic bottles sold at the local deli.  If you are on a well with clay, the slow rince needs to be extended on the Sanitizer.  Best of luck

False

Always go with the least expensive and least expensive first. First clear your drain following the instructions with a zip it tool. then plunge the drain to clear any left overs. Next bleach the drain to kill 99.9 percent of any odors. Next replace your faucet aeraor. This should clear most odors.

If you still have odors after a few weeks the next check would be your hot water tank anode rods. if you have hard water with high mineral and calcium content then your rods are probably fine but if you have acidic water replacing your anode rods every half decade or so is what is going to keep your systems from developing leaks. Water always seeks it's own balance and if it needs to rob your pipes for balance sake that is what it will do.

Happy pipes happy life,

James Hudson Klovach

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us