Water pressure spikes - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Water pressure spikes

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 11:39 PM By: rjschwalbe Replies: 4

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Water pressure spikes

We have a pressure reducer on the main water line from the city water supply to our house and also a pressure guage.  The pressure guage reads 45psi (we set this using the pressure reducer).  However, we get pressure spikes up to 160psi (the guage shows spikes as well as current pressue).  Last week a 160psi spike blew off the water line to the refrigorator. How can I eliminate the spikes? 

False
  • Re: Water pressure spikes

This is the main reason why I moved in with the help of removalist australia. I am renting a 40 years old apartment and all its house system are old. I don't understand the things around the house and everything gets easily damage.

False

We also have the same spikes in our place, though it does not reach 160 psi. It usually comes close to 100 (from 90psi). Our normal pressure spike is just between 40 to 45 psi and with 100 psi, I am afraid that it might do more damage to our home. We have already engaged an experienced company in plumbing, and have cleared the house for their nearing inspection. For the meantime, we have rented a storage facility to clear our home with heavy furniture and valuable items, so that in case the pipes burst before the plumbing company comes, at least none of our valuable items will get drenched. 

False

Eric Bosloor

You are saying that the pressure AFTER the regulator is spiking up above the set of 45psi?  What is the rated Maximum input pressure of the regulator?

False

Don't take chances, replace the pressure reducing valve..

After it's replaced you can set the valve normally between 40-50 psi.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us