Squeaky shower pan - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Squeaky shower pan

Posted: 29 Oct 2010 5:07 PM By: proudpapa Replies: 2

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Squeaky shower pan

I have just moved into a new (to us ) home and the shower in the master bath creaks and groans when you move around. it is so loud it can be heard thru the floor in the rooms below and throughout the surrounding rooms, which makes it difficult to shower while someone sleeps. I need to know how to fix it..

False
  • Re: Squeaky shower pan

Sounds like the pan was never properly supported when installed.

I have a some what similar  situation the that I have a soft spot under my shower pan. Fortunately I was able to access the bottom of the pan from under my house. I injected some door and windows expanding foam under the pan between it and the subfloor to support the pan better.

If you can get access to under tha pan, this will be the best alternative rather than ripping out the pan and staring over. You may need to do some drywall repair on the ceiling under the shower.

Please remember to use only minimally expanding foam such as door and window foam, otherwise it can cause damage when it expands.

False
  • Re: Squeaky shower pan

Timmy88345:

Sounds like the pan was never properly supported when installed.

I have a some what similar  situation the that I have a soft spot under my shower pan. Fortunately I was able to access the bottom of the pan from under my house. I injected some door and windows expanding foam under the pan between it and the subfloor to support the pan better.

If you can get access to under tha pan, this will be the best alternative rather than ripping out the pan and staring over. You may need to do some drywall repair on the ceiling under the shower.

Please remember to use only minimally expanding foam such as door and window foam, otherwise it can cause damage when it expands.

Thats great advice. The longer the problem persists the more of a chance of the drain connection starting to leak. The movement will work on the putty under the shower strainer connection and could create a leak.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us