Tankless water heater - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Tankless water heater

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 11:07 AM By: Philh Replies: 6

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Tankless water heater

My water heater is at the far end of the basement creating very long waits for hot water upstairs.  I want to install a relaively small electric tankless unit closer to the sinks ONLY to eliminate the long wait.  This supplemental heater would get it's supply from the tank unit which after the initial wait, will be hot water.  The supplemental unit would essentially shut down at this point.  Does anyone have any comments on this application?  Thanks

False
  • Re: Tankless water heater

Yes .... It works Great !

False

I saw a reply of "It works great." and wonder if that was you or someone commenting.  I have exactly the same problem. Water heater is at the far southeast corner of the house, kitchen at the far northwest. Feels like it takes 5 minutes to get hot water. I generally save the running water for watering animals, go to the garden, etc, but not always, and I hate to waste good water.

I will watch to see if you get other responses. I bought a small plug-in heater, but it is only good for a couple of cups at the time.

False

Yes these new tankless water heaters work Great.  They can be installed under the sink or in a closet close to where needed to heat water as the water from the hot faucet is used until the hot water from the tank is received at the faucet.  They can be purchased by size, so as to provide the necessary water needed, shutting down when the incoming water reaches a set temperature or the faucet is shut.

It sure saves waiting for distant faucets to have hot water, even a wait of 1 or 2 minutes for hot water gets aggravating when all you want to do is wash your hands or face.  Seems like forever.

False

You might want to look in to a Whole House Instant Hot Water Circulator. We installed one and it eliminated our hot water wait. The pump kit was less then $180. 

False

ClarenceBeeks:

You might want to look in to a Whole House Instant Hot Water Circulator. We installed one and it eliminated our hot water wait. The pump kit was less then $180. 

Keep in mind that a hot water recirc line wont work corrctly with an on demand water heater. The recirc line will continually recirc hot water, thus having the on-demand unit run the whole time.

False

Hey Philh,

I installed a tankless water heater in place of a gas fired 50 gallon system. Because of the climate in Houston water heaters are installed in the attic or the garage. Mines in the detached garage and is a far run to the bathrooms on the opposite side of the house.

Even when I had the traditional water heater it took a *long* time to get hot water. I finally installed a temperature controlled valve at the end of the run between the hot and cold pipes. An electric pump was installed at the water heater that pressured the cold flow. When the hot water dropped below a set temperature it would open allowing warm water to cycle to the end of the run. This process shortened the wait for hot water considerably.

I removed the valve and pump when I installed the tankless system. In my tankless system (Bosch) the burners won't turn on until the water pressure switch senses hot water has been turned on. So the drill is to turn on the hot water valve all the way and wait.... The water temperature is adjusted on a digital diaplay on the unit. I started with 130 degrees, but found that I had to compensate with a lot of cold water. The increased cold water flow placed back pressure on the hot water flow and caused the unit to shut off! I have it set now at 114 degrees and it provides plenty of hot water once it reaches the bathrooms.

My experience only and yours may perform differently. I wasn't tracking my gas bills before or after so I'm not sure on any cost savings. I was elgible for an energy credit on my tax bill though.

JimB

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us