I have a 6YO vacation home in coastal New Jersey - 2 blocks from the beach. There is mold/mildew on the garage drywall - walls and ceiling. My suspicion is the builder used interior/non-moisture resistant drywall and interior paint. 2 car Garage has 6 floor level vents [like the kind you see in a crawl space] and 6 awning windows. the pads for the cars are concrete, but between the 2 pads and between the pads and the outside walls, it is stone [i.e. ground dampness entry??] There is not water problem per se in the garage. I figure I have to wipe the walls with a bleach/TSP solution to get rid of the mold/mildew./ What then, besides exterior paint? Kilz-type exterior primer? Oil -based? Will pouring concrete in the stone areas help? Should the windows be open or closed ? What about the vents?
If it matters, the garage and sand floor crawl space are ground level, first floor condo above garage/crawl space, my condo on second floor. garage is separated from crawl space by 2 storage rooms
It doesn't sound like you have a moisture problem from your description. I would start by doing exactly what you stated...
*Apply bleach solution to remove what is currently on the drywall.
*Once this is dry, apply a Kilz or equivalent product to the surface.
*Apply an exterior grade latex paint...I would something that can be easily washed just in case the mold comes back
I don't see a reason to leave the windows open...having them open can only let more humid ocean air come in.
Build and remodel your dream home...with free professional help.
I would hire a pro to come in on this one. Everything must be checked out, like the back of the drywall. If black mold exist it must come out, only lumber etc. can be cleaned. You then need to find out what is causing the problem [i.e. is there a plastic moister barrier under the stone??] There could be several factors involved, missing one could result in more damage.
When you search over the internet for tips on removing mold you get a number of articles where a number of tips on how to get rid of mold easily are discussed. A number of DIY tips are also mentioned. Hope they serve your purpose.
Outdoor Furniture Orange County
This sounds like moisture build up from humidity and condensation. Think about it. As the garage heats up, the moisture in the dirt/gravel emit vapor and the resulting moisture builds up on the walls and mold results. The solution is ventilation and lots of it. Install additional venting in the walls or ceiling/roof. Or install heating to keep the space dry. Your approach to the clean up and mold remediation is fine. Pouring a slab will help with the vapor.
You have actually gotten all the basics right and you just need to get physically moving with those steps. Mold issues need to be settled quickly in order to avoid further damage to your walls. I think it is definitely vapor buildup that caused the mold because you stay near the beach which blows humid ocean air rapidly. As for the padding for your car, I would also experiment with pouring concrete in between those stones. Because hollow spaces allow mold spores to seep through and grow.
Thomas Williams - http://www.carid.com
ScreenName My Account (Log
Log in or
Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard,
plus a dream project for your wish list!