RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

What is approximate cost to install outdoor motion light to existing wiring?

Posted: 27 Jun 2010 3:04 PM By: JKL3090 Replies: 7

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • What is approximate cost to install outdoor motion light to existing wiring?

I have three existing outdoor lights that we want replaced with motion lights.  The electrician wants to charge us for each light, roughly $70 each, and $200 labor for each installation.  Seems a bit excessive to me insofar as the wiring is already there.  Does anyone know the approximate cost for labor for a job like this?  Thanks.

False
  • Re: What is approximate cost to install outdoor motion light to existing wiring?

That is excessive.  For one, I would purchase the lights yourself and second, i would get another estimate.  This really isnt a very hard job. of course there are a few exceptions. If the lights can be reached by a 6' stepladder or less and if the lights arent that heavy. I would say do it yourself if you are somewhat handy and are physically able. If you would like to try it, let us know and we will be able to help you out. But like I said, if you arent comfortable or are not physically able to do the work....Dont do it.

False
  • Re: What is approximate cost to install outdoor motion light to existing wiring?

We're older people, so I don't think we'd attempt it.  I might get another estimate as I agree it sounds excessive.  Thanks for your input. :)

False

I agree with kaboom.  You can purchase either the motion sensors alone and add them to your existing lights or purchase a light w/ motion sensor together.  You can purchase these for less than $50 ea at just about any retailer that sells home improvement items.  Labor should not be that high even if there are unique risky locations involed.

False

Very excessive. Motion sensor lights can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc from under $20.00, depending on exactly what you are looking for.

I am a handyman, if just removing a light fixture and changing out to a motion sensor light, I would be charging more like $25.00 per light to install.

Check around, definately.

False

Being in the trade myself, I would definitely get more than one estimate.  Not knowing all the details of your project, and speaking on past experience with motion detecting lights, it sounds to be a really quick and simple job that any electrician would be happy to do.

False

Yes

I think that the price seems very high. i would expect to pay $75.00 for each motion light and bulbs and around 1 hour of labor per light. Labor prices should run between $75-100.00 per hr. and realistically the job should only take around 2 hours unless there are special circumstances like the lights are 30 ft off the ground or scaffolding is needed to reach the lights. I would recommend getting more quotes. Good Luck!

False

Thanks, everyone.  Good to know since we're going to need to do this soon.  We're not handy.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us