lighting ideas for workbench - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

lighting ideas for workbench

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 1:09 PM By: 5oaks Replies: 7

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • lighting ideas for workbench

I am setting up a new shop and was looking for ideas for light over the workbench I have never had good luck with fluorescents and was looking for other options.

False
  • Re: lighting ideas for workbench

this could help.

False

thank you this looks like a good site

False

fluorescents have come a long way. Don't buy the cheap ones at the big box stores that use the T12 bulbs( fat bulbs), but rather look for the good ones that use the T8 (skinny bulbs)style bulbs. They have an electronic ballast in the work really well. They don't buzz and when one bulb burns out , the others remain lit. They are also way more efficient than they old style and they also work to 0 degrees fahrenheit. Highly recommend.

False

I agree, but, you must purchase a fixture with an electronic ballast (and NOT a magnetic ballast). My wife is sensitive to florescent lights and has no trouble with these bulbs as mentioned. Note that they use less electricity and generally produce more light.

If you have a way to check the frequency (I own a Fluke meter that measures frequency), an electronic ballast will measure over 1000 and the other about 60.

False

thank  you I think I will have to reconsider the fluorescents i am having a had time finding any thing else. I did see some nice halogen mounted 2 per fixture that hung from chains like fluorescents  that worked well but the guy put them in about 10 to 15 years ago and I can not find them now

False

ok in my research on fluorescent lights I have been told lots of things looks like most of the new ones are t8 and electric ballast but some are telling me I should get commercial ballast to get it to work faster and in colder weather others tell me that the only thing commercial will get is the ability to work with 120 or 240 as long as the ballast is sized for length and amount of bulbs there is no advantage. so a 4 foot long 2 t8 fixture with elect ballast is anywhere from $12.00 to about $24.00 is there any reason to by the more expensive one ? or should I jump up to a commercial ballast?

False

5oaks:
    a 4 foot long 2 t8 fixture with elect ballast is anywhere from $12.00 to about $24.00 is there any reason to by the more expensive one ? or should I jump up to a commercial ballast?
    Without seeing the fixtures, in my opinion, no.  Most simple electronic ballasts will operate fluorescent lamps to minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit.  When the lamp is that cold it has to actually warm up for a while.  During the warm-up, the impedance in each lamp changes a lot, and the magic of the electronic ballast is it can follow the change, and save energy overall.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us