RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Sheetrock over cinder block

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:33 PM By: GPR Replies: 3

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Sheetrock over cinder block

I don't know where to post this subject matter so I am asking for advice here.  I am trying to install sheetrock over a cinder block  fireplace.  How do I adhere the sheetrock to the cinder block?  I'd attach pictures I took to show you however, I don't know how to do that either.

Thanks,

False
  • Re: Sheetrock over cinder block

I prefer to use 1 x 3's and an all purpose liquid nail adhesive and frame it out, then just screw the drywall to the 1by's using 1" screws. A couple of masonry nails doesn't hurt, just predrill the holes.

False

As long a the cinder blocks are plumb, and your not going to hang anything to heavy, what I've done is get a box of all purpose drywall mud (it has glue in it).  Get a trowel and take some mud directly out of the box, put it on  the back of the drywall without spreading it (you want it in a lump). Do this in 4 or 5 spots on the drywall, then press it onto the cinder blocks, level it by pressing into the cinder blocks. Don't press to hard because you want the drywall to have an air space between it and the cinder blocks. Do this all the way around. You might have to put backing (a piece of stud) around the sides of the fireplace entrance to cover the open area. Then screw or nail the rips of drywall to the wood. Let it dry over night. Put the corner bead on by first putting mud on the corners first then press the corner bead into the mud. Tape and finish the drywall and you're ready to go. This works well, I've done it lots of times. Good luck with your project. 

False

I also did the same thing and it really works fine. :)

False

Panel Pros Inc.

“We Haul & Install”

847-774-4171

Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us