Adding a storage closet - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Adding a storage closet

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 10:40 AM By: CaseyP Replies: 11

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Adding a storage closet

We are closing on our new house soon! And of course my wife says she dont think that the house has enough storage and wants to put stuff in the shed out back. I shut that down real quick, thats for yard tools and other tools out there and there won't be any room. So I made a suggestion to her, theres a nock in the living room that we can't figure out what to put there and on the back side of the wall is the dining room. My suggestion was to take and close the nock off and put a door coming in from the dining room. She likes the idea, so that will be one of the first projects I do in the new house. Let me know if this is a good idea or not.

The door is leading into a small office and the new door will be close to this one.

False
  • Re: Adding a storage closet

It's a nice suggestion actually, since you don;t know what's the use of the space for now. It's a good thing you can customized your house.

False

Panel Pros Inc.

“We Haul & Install”

847-774-4171

Do you have a garage.?  

The reason I ask is because the space your talking about can be used for other purposes that are less expensive and time consuming. 

Here is a page from this site, browse through and see if any of the  garage projects may fit your need. Let us know.?

http://www.familyhandyman.com/search?q=garage

False

Hi,

This looks really nice. You have given a good suggestion. I liked your small office  as well.

False

Once we got moved in and started putting things away my wife said that she doesn't think I will need to close that space in. It used to be a formal dining area, and since theres not really a room I can call my man cave I get this area. I've been busy doing upgrades to the kitchen, running icemaker line, cutting cabinets out and installing a dishwasher and changing out faucets since we moved in. I've got to either build a cabinet with drawers in it to go beside the dishwasher or find a set that is pre-made. I would say within the next 5 years we will be replacing all the cabinets in the kitchen and doing a tile or granite counter top. There are a bunch of things we will be changing about this place but it won't happen over night, though I wish it could.

False

Hello Casey..

Glad to hear everything is going good and would like to thank you for keeping us informed. Please hang around, as oldman would say, " Take what you need and give back what you can." 

Did you check out the link above.? What did you think.?

False

Honestly if your home hasn't enough space, then there are really only a few options. One would really be to declutter and cut down on the stuff that you guys have, or to look at getting a self storage unit until you can decide what to do with the things. But you're right about home spaces being very precious real estate, so think carefully before you build in anything!

False

I'd personally say no, but in all honestly it boils down to personal preferences. I'm siding with your wife on this one!

False

John Reider Properties

You can probably use your garage or have a storage closet n your small office.

False

I think more space at home is always welcomed. However, if the entire process requires a tonne of work and a permanent placement, then it ought to be given a second thought. The things that your wife mentioned are not present yet, so why create something for nothing in the first place. You might just regret it much later on. However, since it has been quite sometime and I am sure you have already built up that extra storage space of yours, then utilize it to the very fullest. If you still need space, self storage units are a good alternative which are accessible around the clock.

False

First move into your house and see if there is shortage of storage space. If it is, you can go ahead with customising, otherwise it will be a waste of time and resources.

False

John Reider Properties

I think more space at home is always welcomed. However, if the entire process requires a tonne of work and a permanent placement, then it ought to be given a second thought. The things that your wife mentioned are not present yet, so why create something for nothing in the first place. You might just regret it much later on. However, since it has been quite sometime and I am sure you have already built up that extra storage space of yours, then utilize it to the very fullest. If you still need space, self storage units are a good alternative which are accessible around the clock.
    False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us