Wallpaper residue or backing(?) left on bathroom wall, want to fix and paint - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Wallpaper residue or backing(?) left on bathroom wall, want to fix and paint

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 3:04 PM By: Angelah4 Replies: 1

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Wallpaper residue or backing(?) left on bathroom wall, want to fix and paint

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on the painting of my bathroom.  My husband passed at the young age of 47 from cancer.  Having been a General Contractor he had several projects in various stages of completion before he became ill.  He took "a man's job" seriously and after 23 years of marriage, I am totally clueless about the magic he made.

The problem is that the bathroom having several existing layers of wallpaper in place when we bought the home, I know he scraped and such and 3/4 of the bathroom is in a condition that it could be painted...Except the area of the shower.  There is a very thin tannish type paper adhereing to the walls.  I'd like to guess and say it is the backing from the wallpaper but I do not know. (????)  If this is in fact the residual backing how would I go about removing it and how to I prepare the walls for paint?  The drywall all appears, from what I can tell, to be in great condition and I do think that maybe he did some scraping(?), then sanding to smooth out, Again a guiess that he possibly primed the walls (?)

Is there anyone that could give me any guidance at all?  I'm really fairly handy when I need to be and I'm willing and very eager to learn.  I am looking forward to hopefully be able to take pride in the fact that I could finish this first of many projects I need to tackle.  Thanks in advance for reading my post :)

False
  • Re: Wallpaper residue or backing(?) left on bathroom wall, want to fix and paint

You can purchase a product called DIF, or.......

You can mix equal parts vinegar and warm water in a squirt jug. Spray the mixture on the paper (heavy) and allow it to soak in for about 10 minutes, then scrape the wall paper off. If your left with a film, repeat the process. Afterward it may be necessary to clean/rinse the wall with a wet wash washcloth, then paint.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us