ceiling-high surround -- help!? - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

ceiling-high surround -- help!?

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 11:00 PM By: mgrider83 Replies: 2

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • ceiling-high surround -- help!?

The wife and I are looking to remodel our bathroom.  That will include a new bath and surround.  We toyed with the idea of tiling the surround, but decided that we didn't have the budget for it, so we're going for a fiberglass (or other material) surround.  We want it to go all the way to the ceiling -- and therein lies the rub.

I can't, for the life of me, find a floor-to-ceiling bath and surround on retail websites (i.e. Lowe's & Home Depot).  Am I missing them?  The tallest surround I can find is 72 inches high, but our walls are 8 feet.  Is the height measurement from the rim of the tub?  If so, then that should solve my problem.  

Any advice on where to find a ceiling-high / floor-to-ceiling surround?  

What is the appropriate way to measure a tub?

False
  • Re: ceiling-high surround -- help!?

I doubt that you will find a higher tub surround than the 72" you mentioned.  How you measure kind of depends on your bathtub and the surrounding walls.  You can probably get a better picture of how to figure all this out by going to the Home Depot website and selecting a surround.  Many of them have a set of installation instructions you can download before you buy.

False
  • Re: ceiling-high surround -- help!?

Inexpensive way to do this is to use a 1/4 inch backer board such as Hardibacker behind the wall surround all the way up to your 8 ft height.  Then mix thinset and finish off the Hardibacker above the tub surround the same as you would spread plaster on a wall. Make sure it is smooth so it will accept exterior paint.  Then install your tub and surround on top of the Hardibacker.  I use this method on ceilings above the shower or bath often.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us