Does Drano damage pipes over time? - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Does Drano damage pipes over time?

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 7:21 PM By: Eric20 Replies: 5

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Does Drano damage pipes over time?

Hi guys and gals,

I've been in my new house for about 6 months now.    We seem to have a recurring issue in our tub-shower with the drain becoming slow over time.     I used Drano once, and it cleared the problem.     That was about 3 months ago, and the problem has sprung up again.

My question is......if I make a habit of using Drano every 3 months, is it going to damage my pipes?    Unfortunately I don't know what type of pipes I have, if that's relevant.

I seem to get mixed answers in my research......Drano's website says it's safe for pipes, but of course it would.     Other people seem to think it can be damaging.

Any advice on this would be appreciated!

False
  • Re: Does Drano damage pipes over time?

I have heard that DRANO with cause a build-up in the pipes.  But I don't know because I don't use the stuff.  If I have a clogged drain, I fix it by opening up the drain pipe and finding out why, not pouring more stuff down the drain.

Find out why you are having this problem, most likely there is a hair build up and the will catch other things in it causing the drain flow to slow down.  Can you get to the bottom of the drain pipe to take it apart and clean it out?  This is the way to fix the problem once and for all.

False

Thanks for your response!

There was a bit of hair that I could reach and pull out.     I also made a trip to Home Depot last night and purchased a little sink/tub plunger for less than $3.     This seems to have cleared the problem for me.      I'm not sure if this will continue to be a recurring issue for me, but this seems to be a cheap, easy and chemical-free solution for the time being.

False

We seem to have a recurring issue in our tub-shower with the drain . I have seen it damage chrome fixtures . PVC pipe does tend to get brittle . I have no problem with using drano or the most of the over the counter .

False

I believe regular usage of Drano can be damaging to feeble drain pipes made of normal plastic. i would suggest you to ask some plumber/sweeper to come over to your place to clean the pipe manually instead of using any acid or soda based powders for instant cleaning.

False

You could purchase any of these to help prevent clogging.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bathtub+drain+hair+catcher&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=30934826301&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10808520691697275310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3uqskf364i_b

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us