RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Dirt / debris under sink with garbage disposal unit

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 8:58 PM By: foxris Replies: 1

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Dirt / debris under sink with garbage disposal unit

My kitchen sink has a garbage disposal unit. Underneath the sink there is a cabinet I use for

storage. I noticed directly underneath the disposal unit a pile of sand-like debris of various size brown,

grey, black, and tan in color. I cleared the debris.

Several weeks or months later, I noticed the debris accumulating again. The debris is dry. My belief

is that this is caused by the disposal unit, but I really have no idea where it comes from.

What is this stuff? How do I prevent it? If not, do you have any good solutions to catch the debris as it

accumulates so I can easily dispose of it without clearing the entire under-sink area?

Below are thumbnails of the area and the debris. You can click on the images to get a larger view.

IMG 5514

IMG 5515

False
  • Re: Dirt / debris under sink with garbage disposal unit

You may need a new seal where the disposal connects at the sink.  They are usually cardboard.  Check your owners manual to be sure.  You may just check the tension on the connector to the sink from the disposal.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us