Door will not stay "pulled to" - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Door will not stay "pulled to"

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 10:53 AM By: sgtmwa Replies: 5

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Door will not stay "pulled to"

I have had this problem with two different bathroom doors. Whenever we pull the door to (i.e. not completely shut to the point we would have to turn the door knob in order to open it.), the door will mysteriously drift completely open.  This happens at any time; there is not a time when, say, HVAC suction might affect it.

I should mention, on this particular bathroom door, this was not a problem until I oiled the hinges.  The door creaked terribly, I, admittedly, over oiled the hinges in an effort to not wake my wife when I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.  I have since pulled the hinges and wiped them of excess oil but the problem persists.  I've also had the "phantom opening" problem with a door I didn't oil the hinges on in a different house.

Could this be fixed by some sort of hinge adjustment?

False
  • Re: Door will not stay "pulled to"

I think you should try for the hinge adjustment or else you may have to contact the carpenter to resize the door accordingly.

False

Well if all else fails you can always call a priest....

Close the door just so the latch assembly bolt touches the strike plate, using a pencil mark it's position. Open the door and see if the latch assembly bolt ( observing pencil marks) will be aligned with the strike plate hole.

If so.

Loosen the strike plate screws and completely shut the door. Pull or push the strike plate to engage the latch bolt. Once it engages lightly push the strike plate to shut the door snug and mark that position on the door jamb. Open the door place the strike plate and tighten the screws. Test the door.

Note: Some strike plates have a tab that can be pulled outward or pushed inward using a small flat head screwdriver to loosen or tighten the doors fit.

If this doesn't work do to alignment come back and let us know.

False

here are a couple of options:

Spring Loaded Hinges (my favorite)

Add a door sweep

Slightly bend one or more hinge pin(s) - be careful can cause severe binding if bent too far.

Replace all hinges (may not work as they may move too easy as well)

Good luck

False

I had this problem to some extent with an older door, so, without too much effort I took dented the hinge pin a bit to stop the door from swinging. That being said, here's an article about it http://www.familyhandyman.com/doors/repair/how-to-stop-a-door-from-swinging-open/view-all

Good luck

False

Its always nice to have information over discussion boards where you can share and contribute information to all this should be encouraged.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us