Rusted floor flange for toilet base. What are my options? - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Rusted floor flange for toilet base. What are my options?

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 9:36 PM By: Cobra427Dan Replies: 4

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Rusted floor flange for toilet base. What are my options?

I removed the toilet and discovered the flange base has rusted out completely.The floor is tile with a concrete base at the bottom. What are my options to install a new toilet?  When the house was built it appears the builder had the pipe come up from the foundation, poured concrete around it and added the base of the flange.  Do I have to chisel (?) the concrete out and figure out how to install a new bottom flange?  Just needing ideas of how to lock down the toilet base. Thanks

False
  • Re: Rusted floor flange for toilet base. What are my options?

You shouldn't have to chisel any concrete! Don't make more work for yourself. I had a similar situation a month or so ago,and was trying to find info on Youtube. I came across a few videos that seemed to fix the exact senario you are describing. From what I saw, the old flange is not embedded in the concrete, it actually sits just above the pipe (which is connected to the concrete). They cut the lip of the plastic flange (carefully, with a hacksaw blade) and worked it loose from the pipe (again carefully as not to cut into the pipe, but just the flange). They then found a new PLASTIC flange (no metal to rust) that would slip INSIDE of the existing pipe. That flange has holes for screws to anchor it to the concrete floor. Then your toilet is installed and held in place by the toilet bolts. I'd say try Youtube, I couldn't find an exact fix for the problem I was having- mine was in the second story, and involved cutting the pipe back and adding a new length of pipe, and yadda, yadda- but it seems to be a good place to start. Also, I got some good help from the plumbing guy down at the local Lowes. Take some good pictures of what you are dealing with and show them... you'd be surprised at how much some of those guys know.

False

You may consider "Super ring" repair/replacement flange..

False

Panel Pros Inc.

“We Haul & Install”

847-774-4171

I would suggest posting a picture so we could better help you.

False

If you look closely at where the pipe comes through the flange you will see a gap. The gap between the outer edge of the pipe and the inner part of the flange is where the lead and oakum seal was made. You can drill down between the pipe and flange with a 1/4" bit. Drill holes down about 1/2" inch and close together all the way around. Pull the pieces of lead solder and oakum out with a hooked pick tool. When the material has been removed from this cupped area you should be able to work the flange off of the pipe. Buy a new cast flange at the plumbing supply house, as well as new oakum packing and an epoxy putty to reinstall the new flange. Make sure to clean the outside of the pipe stub before slipping on the new flange. 

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us