Any thoughts on using high-grade laminate wood flooring in kitchen? - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Any thoughts on using high-grade laminate wood flooring in kitchen?

Posted: 18 Oct 2010 9:17 PM By: DIYgirl Replies: 2

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Any thoughts on using high-grade laminate wood flooring in kitchen?

We're going to be redoing all the flooring in my grandmother's house soon.  I want to use a high-grade laminate wood in the great room, which has doors that connect it to both the kitchen and the dining room. 

I am trying to decide if we should continue the same flooring into both the kitchen and dining room for continuity, but I don't know if that's a good choice for a kitchen floor.  Also, down the road, we intend to take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room and have a moveable island instead, so we have to consider how we will handle the flooring situation when we do that.

Any great suggestions or things that we need to consider?

Thanks!

False
  • Re: Any thoughts on using high-grade laminate wood flooring in kitchen?

Dear DIYgirl,

You mentioned that you want to use a high-grade laminate wood.  I am assuming that you want a laminate floor with a high-end wood look (Please correct me if I am not understanding your project). 

Laminate flooring is an excellent choice for flooring in all the areas you mentioned in your grandmother’s house.  It has outstanding durability, low maintenance, is versatile - reproduces the natural beauty of wood - and offers fast, easy installation.  Laminate would be preferred over solid or engineered wood for the kitchen and there are some absolutely beautiful laminates available on the market. 

Using the same flooring for the great room into the kitchen and dining room will give you an elegant, continuous look.  It will also incorporate all the areas when you remove the wall and create a moveable island. 

Be sure to purchase enough flooring now for your future needs.  Calculate the total area (including the wall) and add 5-10% for extras, upkeep, and replacement.

You will want to match lot #s from the products to be sure that the look is the same throughout.  Future production may have a slight variation so it is best to have what you need ready. 

If you need any more information for hardwoods, the link to our hardwood buying guide can be found at

http://bit.ly/c6q2Mc

Best wishes on your new floor!

False
  • Re: Any thoughts on using high-grade laminate wood flooring in kitchen?

Greetings,

I have a high-grade laminate flooring throughout the entire first floor of my house, and it has held up very well.  I would suggest that you continue the same flooring into all rooms.  This will simply make it look that much more presentable.

Although I no longer do it professionally, I used to own a hardwood flooring business with my dad.  We installed and sanded countless floors, and I am proud to say that we finished some gorgeous floors.  That said, laminate flooring is a very nice product.  The finish on laminate flooring is generally perfect, or very close to perfect, due to the finishes being applied in a very clean factory environment.  However, I would strongly suggest the following if you are planning on laminate flooring:

1.  PLEASE keep it clean.  There are two cleaning products that I trust, one being Bona X wood floor cleaner and the second being a wood floor cleaner made by Bruce.  The Bruce product is generally half the cost.  Do not use Murphy's Wood Soap.  It's a good product, but if you use it on floors there is a very likely chance that a poly recoat will not stick (when the time comes to recoat your floor, hence #2 below). 

2.  When you start seeing signs of wear, call a wood flooring company and have them recoat it.  Most laminate flooring cannot be sanded due to the very thin layer of wood (oak, maple, etc.).  Don't let the floor go too long without recoats, or it will be an expensive replacement. 

3.  Think twice about putting wood flooring in a kitchen.  I have seen hundreds of houses with wood floor in the kitchen, and it is an attractive addition to a house, but the liklihood of what I refer to as a "wood emergency" is much more likely.  Stuff is always getting dropped on a kitchen floor, which causes dents.  Dents, especially the deep ones, are hard to mask/sand out.  Dish washers, my mortal enemy when I was doing floors, love to leak.  Water and wood doens't do well together.  :)

Anyway, that's more than you bargained for, but I love this site and I love the opportunity to build something and make a home a better place to live. 

Best,

Todd

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us