Raised Garden Ideas - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Raised Garden Ideas

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 1:17 PM By: FreeAir Replies: 6

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Raised Garden Ideas

I'm thinking of starting a raised garden soon and am wondering if railroad ties would be good for the perimeter. They seem sturdy enough, long lasting and have that rustic look to it. What do you think?    

False
  • Re: Raised Garden Ideas

Question...

What is the idea/reason for wanting a raised garden.?

False

Raised gardens are ideal for growing vegetables and flowers. This type of a garden not only looks beautiful but it has other benefits also as it gives you better control over soil type, drainage. Thus, it is quite easy to create raised garden beds. However, you need better knowledge in handling this garden, so all my best wishes are with you.

False

I noticed the original post was from July, so this may be too late to share advice--at least for the original poster--

I used railroad ties for a raised bed several years ago, but I was careful to be sure I didn't plant any root crops within 24 inches of the edges (the bed was roughly 20' x 20').  I also maintained an edge of flowers immediately adjacent to the ties.  Creosote in the ties is potentially harmful and is believe to be incorporated into root crops more than into leafy crops.  I don't know if this has been verified or is only a belief, but I erred on the side of caution.

If you line your bed with galvinized sheet metal, you would be safer, but galvy has its own naysayers.  Plastic can be used, recommendation for a stiff plastic, rather than plastic sheeting that will break down over time.

If you plan to plant only flowers in your raised bed, you shouldn't need to worry about leaching.  However, I would caution against assuming you will never change your mind and won't decide to put in vegetables in the future!

False

ron45:

Question...

What is the idea/reason for wanting a raised garden.?

Perhaps, anyone who like gardening and who will be gardening should answer this.

False

Panel Pros Inc.

“We Haul & Install”

847-774-4171

now a days people how can do gardening are the one how are self employed or are retired because the life is to fast to do these kind of things.. your self that`s way people prefer the organizers who are in this ..

False

1,  As we get older it is harder bending down to take care of a regular garden.

2.  more control over your soil. You can build it up with lots of good stuff.  

3.  build in gopher, vole & rabbit deterrents,  I used closely spaced rabbit wire to line my veggie garden on the bottom.

4.  since you would make better soil you would also have much better drainage.

I made my veggie garden out of retaining wall bricks.  The day after Thanksgiving our local brick, block store had a great sale.  I got the bricks for $,99 a piece, they normally go for  $1.74.  I made it 16" high or 4 bricks high.  It turned out great,  I have planted:   3  tomato plants, 3 zucchini, 3 yellow squash, 3 spinach, lots of bunching onions ,2  Romaine lettuce,1 bell pepper and I am experimenting with corn.  5 Marigold plants.  Come fall I will be planting broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, yams, beets, Since I live in zone 9 I should be able to hold on to most of these plants for winter. So I hope to feed myself good organic food and my neighbors too!  

Now If I could beat the insects I would have it made..

Glenda

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us