Heated Storage Cabinet - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Heated Storage Cabinet

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 2:49 PM By: RDA Replies: 2

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Heated Storage Cabinet

I have a detached garage that is not heated. I am looking for ideas for to store paint, finishes, and other items that should not freeze. I know a metal cabinet is a must but what to use for a heat source.

False
  • Re: Heated Storage Cabinet

I have in the past use an old non working refrigerator as they are insulated  and metal. I heated mine with a 40-60 watt light bulb old fashion kind. I just drilled a hole in back of the unit and installed light . I have also use this set up for keeping welding rods dry. you could put a in-line thermostat in the cord inside to shut the light off once the inside got to the set temp.  may have to try a few different watt bulbs to find the right one for your area colder it gets the higher the wattage would need to be hope this helps

You do have to check the light from time to time.

Might try a small Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat, or boot warmers? these are cheap under 30 dollars in home stores  

False
  • Re: Heated Storage Cabinet

Thanks for your input, the old fridge is a great idea and much cheaper then a metal cabinet.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us