Dropped Ceiling - Family Handyman DIY Home Forum
RDA Forum - Breadcrumbs

Dropped Ceiling

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:18 PM By: RDG Replies: 6

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1
  • Dropped Ceiling

I am remodeling the first floor apartment in my multi-family house in NYC. The ceiling in the kitchen is 9’3” high. I am dropping the ceiling to 8’2” to accommodate air conditioning ducts. I plan to put in fiberglass bats between the ceiling beams to insulate the ceiling for sound from the above apartment. My question is, do I need to install a layer of sheetrock directly to the ceiling beams and below the insulation and another to form my new dropped ceiling, or can I simply put up one ceiling on the lower part?  Also, because I’m planning to use recessed LED lights in the kitchen, does the space above the dropped ceiling have to be vented?

Thanks in advance.

False
  • Re: Dropped Ceiling

Fiberglass batts will not give you the sound deadening you want unless they are specifically for that. They are denser and heavier than regular fiberglass insulating batts and are unfaced. That said you will probably have to install drywall  directly to the ceiling joists just to keep those batts up there. You dont have to insulate above the dropped ceiling unless you really want to deaden the noise, an air space acts somewhat as a sound deadener also. The space between does not need to be vented.  Just as an afterthought you may want to use spiral ductwork for your a/c  ducts and not bother with dropping the ceiling, it gives it a rather hi-tech look that many places (including restaurants and offices) use. Just a thought.

False

RDG:

I am remodeling the first floor apartment in my multi-family house in NYC. The ceiling in the kitchen is 9’3” high. I am dropping the ceiling to 8’2” to accommodate air conditioning ducts. I plan to put in fiberglass bats between the ceiling beams to insulate the ceiling for sound from the above apartment. My question is, do I need to install a layer of sheetrock directly to the ceiling beams and below the insulation and another to form my new dropped ceiling, or can I simply put up one ceiling on the lower part?  Also, because I’m planning to use recessed LED lights in the kitchen, does the space above the dropped ceiling have to be vented?

Thanks in advance.

For sound deadening you need to use a special batt made for that and not regular insulating batts. These are denser and heavier than regular batts so you will probably need to drywall the ceiling after you install the batts. Once you drop the new ceiling you do not need to insulate that one also or vent it. What you may want to do instead of just putting up a ceiling to hide the a/c ductwork is to use spiral ductwork for the ducting. You have probably seen this in offices and restaurants, it gives the space a rather hi-tech look and you can either paint it or leave the steel look.

False

Fiberglass batts are not that sound deadening unless they are the sound attenuating type that are thicker, denser, unfaced and heavier than regular insulating batts. That said you will probably have to install drywall on the joist to hold it up securely.  Then you have to install your new ceiling with drywall. That space does not need to be vented, LED lights dont get that hot.  Instead of dropping the ceiling to hide the ductwork why not use spiral ducting like they use in many offices and restaurants these days? Gives it a high-tech look and you can either paint it or leave it as it is.

False

Check with your local fire codes to make sure your not in violation. ElectricAl should be along soon to help you with the lighting question. Hope this helps.

False

Thank you everyone for your help. I knew I'd get great answers here.

False

If you do decide to drop the ceiling to hide the ductwork you will have to insulate it to prevent it from sweating during the a/c season.

False
Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us