RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

PVC pipe vs. ABS pipe: How do you choose?

• Comments 4

Pipes
Ask a bunch of plumbers which is better and you probably won’t get an answer, just an argument. Some say PVC is best for long-term, leak-free drain lines because it’s stronger. Others say ABS is actually more durable because it’s less brittle and less likely to crack. Most agree that ABS installs faster, because it doesn’t require the purple primer. But some say PVC is easier to work with because it’s stiff and stays straight. Search the Web for clear answers and you’ll only become more confused.

So how do you choose? There are two factors that matter more than all the others combined:

First, check with your building inspector. Some local codes allow only PVC or only ABS. That doesn’t make sense, but it doesn’t matter. Just follow the code.

If code allows both PVC and ABS, make a pass through the plumbing aisle at your favorite home center. Even if the store carries both PVC and ABS, you’ll probably find that one material offers a much wider selection of fittings. A broad selection will save you lots of headaches later.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Related articles from The Family Handyman:

- How to connect PVC pipe to ABS pipe

- How to glue and join plastic pipe

- Plumbing with PEX tubing

- How to use CPVC plastic pipe

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

Abs is a great plastic as well as PVC. The difference is ABS is bondable to itself. Pvc requires adheshive. I buy ABS from www.iplasticsupply.com/.../abs-cycolac-absylux-royalite-sheet-rod and use it for piping. It looks and works great with almost no hassle.

• by posted on

Use the new pex line of plumbing. It truly will last forever and will bend in any direction. thus helping to "winterize" vacation homes in colder climates.

• by posted on

Nice Blog!! Great Post !! Like your Blog and your ideas and i think its benificial for us and i keep to visit your blog regularly because i got lot of information through you blog

<a href="www.pisces-aqua.co.uk/">PVC Pipe</a>

• by posted on

Great tips. very well-written, keyword-oriented and incredibly useful. its really interesting to many readers. I really appreciate this, thanks<a href="www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/">Pressure Pipe</a>

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us