RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Ingenious tool storage tip: Rotary bit organizer

• Comments 3

I’m not implying that everyone’s shop is a mess. I’m just saying that everyone can appreciate a creative tip for storing their tools. Check out this one:

Rotary bit organizerRotary bit organizer

If you have a rotary tool, you know how hard it is to keep track of the bits. This rotary bit organizer may just inspire a renaissance of rotary tool use in your shop. Friction-fit a piece of 3/4-in. plastic foam in a snap-lid plastic food container. Then poke holes in the plastic foam with an awl to hold shafted bits, and slice crevices with a utility knife to hold cutoff discs. Using a spade bit at high speed, drill sockets for larger bits and tube-shape containers. Once your bits are in order, you can rediscover how useful they can be.

If you like this one, we’ve got a bunch more in our free monthly online DIY Tips and Hints Newsletter. You’ll get tons of clever tips from our readers and pros for bath, garage and kitchen storage; using and storing tools; painting and wallpapering; carpentry shortcuts and a lot more.  Just click on the link below.

— Elisa Bernick, Associate Editor

For more tool storage ideas, check out this article: Clever Tool Storage Ideas

To sign up for our free newsletters, click here: The Family Handyman DIY Newsletters

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

nice!  but..most attachments i buy (always the high-piece-count ones) already have wonderful, perfect cases that store the pieces perfectly arranged...like the ones available from harbor freight (and at a great price, too)

• by posted on

I love the simplicity of this idea. I am a big fan of organization because it's easy to do and it helps keep projects going a lot faster since you don't have to always look for the things you need to do the job. Great creative thinking. I have several bits in my toolbox that do not have something to keep them together. They are just laying in their respective places in my toolbox so I know where they are when I want them.

• by posted on

This is a great storage tip. Though I could not find the exact storage box, but I was able to modify an existing toolbox, and placed compartments for my rotary bits. It does not look the same way, but the functionality of it works very much the same.  It was difficult at first since the box I found was a little unconventional, but I was able to find ways and means to place compartments and designed the slots properly that it does not look like a storage box for my rotary bits. Since then, I experimented on old compartment boxes and storage units re-modeled these

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us