RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Cover cracks with wall liner

• Comments 1

prepasted wall linerHome improvement shortcuts usually lead to trouble. But not always. Fifteen years ago, I tore out most of my crumbling plaster walls and replaced them with drywall. By the time I got to the dining room, I just couldn’t face another day of dust and rubble. So I took an easier path: I patched the worst cracks with mesh tape and joint compound and primed the walls. Then I covered the walls with “wall liner.” Today, those walls still look perfect. 

Wall liner is basically wallpaper, but it’s much thicker and paintable. Some versions are smooth; some have a textured or patterned surface. I’ve seen situations where severe cracks telegraphed through it, so patching wide or loose cracks beforehand is a good idea. Aside from hiding cracks, liner is also used to smooth out textured walls before hanging wallpaper. And it’s the easiest way to cover up dated wall paneling.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Check out these related articles from The Family Handyman
- How to hang wallpaper
- How to repair a drywall crack
- How to repair holes in drywall
- How to prepare problem walls for paint

You can buy prepasted wall liner or unpasted lining paper wallpaper at home centers or through our affiliation with Amazon.com.

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

Thanks, Gary, for a good suggestion that would work well with

mobile home owners who want to make their paneled walls look

like normal walls in a home or apartment.  Too much paneling can

make the home look more like a basement rec room than a home. A

good handyman or even a skilled homeowner can remove the molding

between panels and fill any spaces where the paneling does not

line up with joint compound. (You usually need two sets of hands

for this process.) By covering the paneling with the wall liner,

you can then paint or add wallpaper. This will completely

transform the look of the place.

Joaquin Erazo Jr.  from www.caseremodeling.com/.../handyman

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us