RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Painting techniques: Safer paint removers

• Comments 3

Safer paint strippersStripping paint

The worst job I’ve ever had was stripping all the woodwork in an old mansion. Rotten work, but it made me a connoisseur of paint removers. I tried every product I could find and found that they all fell into two categories: fast and nasty, or slow and safer.

Fast strippers work great; they cut through finishes in minutes. But the fumes can make you dizzy and even do permanent damage to your brain or lungs. So my rule is to use them outdoors only. To recognize these strippers, check the fine print. Most contain methylene chloride and possibly toluene, acetone or methanol.

Most of the slow strippers contain “NMP,” a much safer chemical. NMP isn’t harmless; some studies suggest that long-term exposure can cause health problems. But for the occasional user, the main risks are irritation to your skin or respiratory system.

Pros and DIYers alike have told me NMP paint strippers “just don’t work.” That’s not true. NMP just requires more patience. Here’s my approach: Brush on a heavy coat of stripper and cover it with thin painter’s plastic or plastic kitchen wrap. Then I check back in a couple of hours. If the finish is easy to scrape off, I get to work. If not, I give it a couple more hours. I’ve waited up to eight hours and NMP has never failed to soften the finish.

Most home centers carry strippers that contain NMP (about $20 for a half gallon). You won’t find “NMP” on the label, so check the fine print for terms like “n-methyl pyrrolidone” or “1-methyl-2-pyrrolidone.” Citristrip and Zinsser Magic Strip are two common brands.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Check out our related articles from The Family Handyman:
- Paint Brush Care: How To Rescue a Petrified Brush
- How to Prepare for House Painting

- How to Sand Woodwork by Hand

And see our Painting section for all sorts of DIY advice on interior painting, speed painting, painting techniques, tools and tips.

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I use a product call EZ way out of WA state.It is the BEST! I don't have to sand, can strip in place as needed and it doesn't raise the grain. pricey but GREAT stuff.

BuilderMom

• by posted on

Have you heard of Home Strip Paint and Varnish Remover its an Eco-friendly product that is solvent and NMP free I found it worked great on my wooden window frames and didn't irritate my skin.

• by posted on

Try Star 10 Paint Stripper. It does not contain methylene chloride, caustics or acids. Check out the website, www.starten.com. This product works great on almost anything you need to strip.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us