RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Kitchen ideas: A better sink drain

• Comments 3

Ninety-nine percent of drain lines under sinks are bound to leak sooner or later. That’s because the parts are made from thin plastic and joined with “slip” joints that slip together and—eventually—slip apart.
Better kitchen drain
So if there’s a new kitchen sink in your future, consider the drain assembly my plumber buddy installs for his best customers. He uses thick “schedule 40” plastic (PVC or ABS) parts that are “welded” together with solvent cement. An assembly like this will last forever, no matter how times you bash it with the wastebasket. Be sure to install a union trap and a rubber coupler so you can open the trap to clear clogs. The other parts will vary depending on your situation, but in most cases you won’t spend more than $20.

So why doesn’t everyone build drains like this? Because it takes an hour or two, while the thin plastic stuff assembles in just a few minutes. And even surgeons wince when they see how much plumbers charge for a couple hours of labor.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Check out these related articles from The Family Handyman:

- Tips for working with PVC or ABS pipe
- How to replace a sink drain
- How to replace a kitchen faucet

Also see our Kitchen Plumbing section for a complete assortment of DIY plumbing projects.

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

Gary,

I am looking for information on how to build a built-in shower base. The  homeownwer wants a cement base with ceramic tile. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

coloradojeff

• by posted on

Good idea.  I like the idea of doing away with the slip joints and lightweight drain tubing.  I am in the process of rebuilding  kitchen plumbing, do to a in-wall leak, as I type.  

I have one question:  What is this "FEMALE THREADED FITTING" piece?  Went to Home Depot & Lowes, and found no such animal.  The adapters, they both had, would NOT screw into the threads on the bottom of the strainer.  Two different type of threads here, one type on the strainer and a different type on the adapter.  They don't match.

I'll use the 2" tailpiece on the bottom of the strainer, secure it with brass nut, and then use a "trap adapter" to go to 1 1/2" PVC.  Would like to find out what this "female threaded fitting" is?  Would make this installation a little less complicated.

• by posted on

It seems I am getting a lecture for plumbing sink. The above picture is really great illustration. I recently got back from UK and got complete plumbing work from (www.london-boiler-repair.co.uk) and was satisfied with the work. I am so happy to get it and it's really great place to have DIY project.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us