RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Drywall: Which tape is best?

• Comments 1

Most drywall pros will tell you that paper tape is the only way to go. I disagree.

Drywall tapes
Paper is great for skilled tapers. But for the rest of us, adhesive-backed mesh is easier. You don’t have to tool it into a bed of joint compound; just stick it to the wall, then mud over it. More important, you don’t have to worry about bubbles or ripples, wrinkles or slipping. That lets you concentrate on laying down a smooth, even coat of mud.

But there are a couple of catches:

First, mesh is hard to apply to inside corners, so you’re better off using paper tape for those. Paper that’s reinforced with plastic or metal strips helps to keep corners straight, eliminates wrinkles and minimizes bubbles.

Second, mesh isn’t as tough as paper. To create a strong joint, manufacturers recommend stronger joint compound for the first coat. That means mixing powdered “setting type” compound with water—a messy, time-consuming pain in the neck. Use “lightweight” setting compound only. The standard stuff is rock-hard and almost impossible to sand.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

For more great information about finishing and sanding drywall, check out these articles:
- Tips for Finishing Drywall
- How to Sand Drywall
- How to Install Paper-Faced Corner Bead

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I have used the adhesive mesh tape for over 10 years and never had a problem wit hit cracking or popping/peeling, a common problem with the paper tape if you don't get enough mud behind it.

For my money I would use mesh every time. Maybe because I always use the setting type compounds with the mesh tape is why I never have had a problem.

Contractor John

http://ContractorJohn.com

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us