RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

How to get rid of mice

• Comments 4

We never have mice in our house in the summer. Apparently the detached garage and stone patio wall are good enough for them during warm weather. But once the temperature dips into the low 60s at night, a tiny “Vacancy” sign must light up and the mice start trying to “check in" to our house for the winter.

About a week ago, we noticed a little pile of fresh debris under the threshold of the back door where mice had started tunneling their way in. Sure enough, there was a new hole there, about the size of a nickel. We always have steel wool around for just such situations (copper mesh is even better because it won’t rust), and we crammed the hole full. Mission accomplished. Ha! The next day there was a new nickel-size hole just to the left of the edge of the steel wool. So we dug all along the threshold and filled the whole space. Apparently the sensation of metal on teeth isn’t any more pleasant for mice than it is for people, because it works! Especially in the fall, you have to be diligent about filling all the little holes around the house, either with caulk or cement or steel wool.

Mice are crazy tenacious…but with some work and diligence you have a better chance of keeping your home mouse-free. Reading How to Have a Mouse-Free House is a good start.

And if, despite your best efforts, mice have taken up residence, here's some good advice about trapping:

• Snap-type mousetraps,when well placed, can be an effective way to rid your house of mice. Snap traps may seem cruel, but compared with a slow death from a glue trap or poisoned bait, they’re a more humane way to exterminate mice. And because you toss the remains in the garbage, there are no dead mouse surprises to encounter later.

• Common mistakes are poor placement of traps and using too few of them. Mice have poor vision and prefer to feel their way along walls. Place snap traps along walls in areas where you’ve seen the telltale brown pellets. For an average-size house, two dozen mousetraps would not be too many!

• The best technique is to set two traps, parallel to the wall, with the triggers facing out. While mice can jump over one trap, they can’t jump two. Favorite baits of professional exterminators are chocolate syrup and peanut butter. Live traps are best used in pairs in the same manner as conventional mousetraps. Place them back-to-back with the open doors on each end.

— Mary Flanagan, Associate Editor

For more advice on ridding your house of rodents and insects, check out these articles:
- How to Keep Pests Out of Your House
- How to Install a Dryer Vent That Keeps Out Pests
- How to Trap Moles
- Control Bugs

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I had trouble with mice and used the snap traps. They worked great but I also put a few mothballs around and haven't had a problem since then. I put them behind cabinets and in the basement where kids and pets can't get to them.

• by posted on

Mikes53, thanks for the important reminder about keeping traps away from kids and pets.

• by posted on

FYI: on the moth balls used as a rodent deterrent be careful as the key ingredient in moth balls is naphthalene. The EPA has classified naphthalene as a persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) chemical. Naphthalene is an incredibly dangerous chemical its harmful if swallowed or inhaled, causes irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory tract, and may affect liver, kidney, blood and central nervous system and even cause death. Furthermore, MSDS's states that inhalation of dust or vapors can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, extensive sweating and disorientation. The predominant reaction is delayed intravascular hemolysis (the dissolution of red blood cells) with symptoms of anemia, fever, jaundice, and kidney or liver damage. Another key ingredient in some brands of moth balls is para dichlorobenzene (PDB). According to a chemical profile listing of PDB conducted by Cornell University, PDB is has an acute (high) toxicity, and people who were exposed to PDB to a prolonged length of time developed anorexia, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, as well as death. [4]  The very fact that naphthalene is so effective on moths as well as repelling rodents and snakes demonstrates the mere fact that it is a deadly chemical. So think twice where you want to place it.

• by posted on

I would like to thanks for the good  work of writing this blog. I am hoping to read more  in the upcoming also. The fact is your original writing abilities has inspired me to get my own site now.

i like to reccomend my site that is ont this topic also and offers more ways to answer the question

how to get rid of mice

http://mice-problems.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us