RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

The Paslode cordless finish nailer: Compressor free!

• Comments 2

Paslode cordless finish nailer

I admit to having mixed feelings when it came time to hang trim in my house. On one hand, it meant the rooms were almost finished. But it also meant weeks of lugging an air compressor around behind me, which by traditional standards weighs 300 lbs., or if you're measuring by the sounds I make when moving it, 3 tons. Historically, this is followed by at least one episode where I find myself inside a small closet with 20 ft. of air hose slowly suffocating me like an anaconda.

Imagining that experience was all the reason I needed to add to my tool collection with the Paslode Cordless 16 Gauge Angled Finish Nailer. My eyes turned into little hearts as soon as I opened the box. It weighs in at less than 5 lbs. and runs off a combination of battery and fuel cartridge. It's light, easy to use, hasn't jammed on me yet, and never requires extracting myself from 20 ft. of air hose.

In the last six months, I've used it to install baseboard in bathrooms and closets, and door trim throughout the house. I also used it to create some simple wood frames for a couple of bathroom mirrors and to install wood shelves in a pantry. Without a doubt, it's portable and easy to use in tight spaces. My only complaint is that I notice the smell of the fumes discharged each time a nail is fired, especially in confined areas. It's also louder than a typical air nailer when firing, but quieter when you factor in the noise of the air compressor.

At about $250 from Lowe's, it's $50 to $100 more expensive than its corded counterparts. Fuel cartridges are another cost that need to be factored in. For $25 you can get four cartridges, which will shoot approximately 4,800 nails. While the Paslode cordless nailer is a little more expensive to run, when you're crammed in a 2 x 2-ft. closet installing baseboard, the ease of use is well worth the price. 

Kit Stansley

Kit Stansley writes about serious DIY and her love of tools, the remodeler's life and miniature donkeys at DIYDiva.net.

Curious about installing trim and trim guns? Check out these article on Trim Carpentry from The Family Handyman:

- Interior Trim Work Basics

- How to Use a Trim Nailer Gun

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I will agree that cordless is the way to go but I have noticed several short comings of the paslode. First is the butane cells are very sensitive to tempuratures. I have done many jobs where I have pulled the can and put it in my arm pit to warm up to fire. Also there is no way to know that the tool not firing is a battery issue or fuel cell. I use mine all the time but it's a real pain to take it inside every night when it gets cold and lug it bag out to truck in the morning. I do that with all my cordless batteries too but that just adds another trip at days end, in addition to bringing caulk, foam, etc in wt night. It is very handy, but I have had alot of "non-fires" and it gets frustrating. Looking to go the cordless dewalt way

• by posted on

Hello,

Thanks a lot for a awesome presentation on pest control management! Yes i am agree with your content.

Some days ago i gotten a amazing sites with a lot of interesting pest management. There was also many online It Support.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us