RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Bookcases: Pro Shortcut for DIY Furniture Makers

• Comments 3

Hanging cabinet doorsCustom cabinet doors by mail

The ideal bookcase has open shelves for items you want to put on display, and enclosed storage space for stuff you don't. But the trouble with enclosed spaces is that they require doors—and making doors requires extra time, tools and know-how. With many bookcases, building doors takes more time and skill than the rest of the project combined.

So I'll let you in on a little secret: Lots of professional furniture makers don't make their own doors. Instead, they buy custom-made doors for bookcases and other fur

niture jobs. There are suppliers all over the U.S. who will make doors to your exact specifications and ship them anywhere. The doors I've ordered have been excellent: flawless joinery, good wood selection and precisely the right size. Plus, for a few bucks extra, I get my doors sanded, so they're ready to finish right out of the box. I've spent from $20 to $60 per door, depending on the size, style and wood species. To find a supplier online or browse styles, just enter "custom cabinet doors" in your favorite search engine.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

More bookcase tips

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

HI, Will be doing a DIY built-in bookshelf soon. Please advise on some reliable suppliers if you can. Thanks!

• by posted on

Good advice for the average DIY homeowner. I would say it’s worth the money to get your doors sanded professionally. Sanding is often overlooked by DIY furniture makers but it’s one of the most important steps in furniture construction. Don’t save that money thinking you could do the sanding yourself unless you have the right equipment, time and space for the job. I always say it’s always better to spend a little bit more for that extra work put in as you’ll save so much more in the long haul.

• by posted on

i love is sit cuz it gives u the planes to make this all by yourself        

b97347vsd6db7r3qznnsjltbdr.hop.clickbank.net

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us