RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

My Best Backyard Idea Ever: Eliminate Grass Trimming

• Comments 2

Eliminate grass trimming with a row of flat stones

Well, I can't really call it my idea. But it is the best little project I've ever done in my backyard because it saves me hours of grass trimming every summer. Here's the idea.

Set a row of flat stones or pavers into the soil along fences, planters, retaining walls—any place in your backyard that normally requires trimming after mowing. Your mower can roll right over the stones and cut all the grass. No need for trimming.

I used stones that were about 2 in. thick and left them about an inch above the soil level to discourage grass from creeping over them. Once or twice each summer, I pull out any grass that has sneaked between the stones.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Here are some more ways to simplify yard chores:

Tips for easier weeding and watering 

Install a garden irrigation system

Sharpen the blade for faster mowing and healthier grass

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

What I used instead of stone was pea gravel.%0d%0aIt has several benefits over stone.%0d%0aGrass cannot grow between the stones as there are no joints.%0d%0aYou can run your lawnmower over it just like stone. %0d%0aPea gravel is permeable therefore allowing water to drain.%0d%0aI dug a trench 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep. I placed weed screen in the bottom and used treated 1X4’s as the borders. I then poured the pea gravel into the trench. That will allow you to keep the dirt around your slab moist during the summer and eliminates wood rot around the fence posts as well.%0d%0a%0d%0a

• by posted on

What I used instead of stone was pea gravel.

It has several benefits over stone.

Grass cannot grow between the stones as there are no joints.

You can run your lawnmower over it just like stone.

Pea gravel is permeable therefore allowing water to drain.

I dug a trench 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep. I placed weed screen in the bottom and used treated 1X4’s as the borders. I then poured the pea gravel into the trench. That will allow you to keep the dirt around your slab moist during the summer and eliminates wood rot around the fence posts as well.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us