RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

How to Clean Your Air Conditioner

• Comments 3

As my buddy walked up the driveway, he noticed my condenser (the exterior unit of my central AC system), which was caked with dirt, grass and even a few dead insects. He gave me a look that said, "You're an idiot." Then he gave me a sermon that only a heating/cooling engineer like himself could deliver. I didn't understand most of it, but I got the key point: When the fins surrounding the unit are dirty, the fan can't efficiently suck air through them and the whole system has to work harder to cool the house. That costs money in the form of higher electricity bills and future repairs. Since then, I've cleaned my condenser every spring. It's so easy that a kid can do it in about 20 minutes.

Shut off the power

Step 1:

Cut off the power so the fan can't cut off your fingers. Your power box may have a switch inside or a block that you pull out to cut the power.

Vacuum the fins

Step 2:

Vacuum the fins with a brush attachment. Be gentle so you don't bend the fins; they aren't much tougher than tin foil.

Rinse off the fins

Step 3:

Unscrew the fan grille, set the fan aside and rinse off the fins. Dial down the water pressure so you don't damage the fins. Put it all back together and pour yourself a cold one.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Springtime central air maintenance

How to cover up your AC unit in the fall

How to clean a window air conditioner

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us