RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

3 Plumbing Repairs Anyone Can Do

• Comments 4

According to a study I've been conducting for the past 20 years, almost every home in North America needs at least one of these plumbing repairs. And that's a shame, because each of these plumbing repairs is quick and easy. You can do each one in 15 minutes or less, even if you have no plumbing experience.

1. Clean a clogged faucet aerator

Clean a clogged faucet aerator
If the flow from your faucet is weak, unscrew the aerator and clean the little plastic parts inside. Scrub off gunk with a toothbrush or scrape with a knife. Here's the key to success: As you disassemble the aerator, lay out the parts in order so you know exactly how to reassemble them.

2. Fix a leaking shutoff valve

Fix a leaking shutoff valve
If a valve under your sink is dripping, you probably don't need to replace it. Instead, just tighten the packing a little. (If you tighten it too much, the valve stem won't turn.) To prevent loosening the whole valve as you tighten the nut, hold on to the valve body with a second wrench.

3. Fix a drippy sink drain

Fix a drippy sink drain
If the drainpipes under your sink leak, take a look at their alignment. If the pipes join up straight, simply tighten the slip nuts. If they're crooked, loosen the nuts, straighten out the assembly and retighten. If your pipes are plastic rather than metal, hand-tighten first. Then check for leaks and use pliers if necessary.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

More easy plumbing repairs

Fix a running toilet

Replace a leaky sink sprayer

Unclog a toilet

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

Excellent timing - I rec'd a call today from a customer to fix a leaky shut off valve.   I will definitely try this before replacing with a new one.  Dave

• by posted on

The number one device that wastes the most water in a home is the flapper valve. You never see it or hear it , you only pay more and more in water bills, and since your waste water billing is tied to your water usage  a leaking flapper will cost you more than 10 times what a new one does. A flapper valve is the easiest thing in the world to replace, but from personal experience a flapper that cost  $1.29 will last and perform as well as one that costs $8- $10 . The problem is the Chlorine used by most municipalities  to sanitize the drinking water. I have yet to see a flapper made of the correct Chorine resistant materials . They exist! but I guess it's like making anything designed to last a long time due to the profitability issues. If anyone out there knows of a flapper that is really worth it  please let us know. I live in Florida and down here the Chlorination is quite heavy. I have used a pool testing kit and my drinking water has more Chlorine than our pool.

• by posted on

These are great tips! Knowing some basic quick fixes can save you a lot of money in the long run, both in repairs and utilities. All you need is the initial investment in tools. You can learn more here: www.budgetknowsplumbing.com/.../become-a-diy-plumber-for-about-80

Be sure you contact or consult with a professional plumber for your pro level problems.

• by posted on

These are great tips! Knowing some basic quick fixes can save you a lot of money in the long run, both in repairs and utilities. All you need is the initial investment in tools. You can learn more here: www.budgetknowsplumbing.com/.../become-a-diy-plumber-for-about-80

Be sure you contact or consult with a professional plumber for your pro level problems.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us