RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Instant Kitchen Storage: Racks for Canned Goods

• Comments 1

Wire shelving for canned goods

Finding more storage in your overflowing kitchen (without adding cabinets) isn't hard. You just have to be creative. Here's a simple project that will help you tame your kitchen chaos, and the best part is--it takes 10 minutes or less to do.

All you need to make these racks for canned goods is some wire closet shelving. Measure your cabinets and trim the wire shelving to length using a bolt cutter or a hacksaw. You can wedge the bottom rack into place and it will stay put. For the upper racks, predrill screw holes into the back side of the cabinet face frame. Then run in a 5/8-in. screw on each side, but leave about ¾ in. of the head sticking out to set the front of your racks on. The back of the rack just rests against the back of the cabinet. That's it. Load up the racks with cans and you've just gained a ton more space and can instantly find what you're looking for.

Check out this video to learn how to make these racks for canned goods.

For even more instant kitchen storage ideas, take a look at these great articles:

Kitchen Storage Solutions: Pantry Storage Tips

Kitchen Storage: Organization Tips for Your Kitchen

— Elisa Bernick, Associate Editor

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I love this storage racks! I have been stacking all my canned food for ages and sometimes we just run out of space because our cabinet shelves are just that high. And all the cans behind the first stack are not within reach and sight. Thus, they are usually not consumed as often as those in the front and might exceed past their expiry dates too. Such rackings definitely provide us with proper storage compartment for our cans and save us money too in the long run.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us