A flooded basement, moldy drywall and mildewed grout are no
fun to deal with. Here are tips to help you prevent water damage and mold growth
from happening in the first place, and tips for handling these situations if
they do occur.
Tip 1: Control indoor moisture to prevent mold
to stopping mold and mildew is to control dampness. The worst infestations
usually occur in damp crawlspaces, in attics and walls where water has leaked
in from the outside, and in basements with poor foundation drainage. Stopping
leaks, ensuring good ventilation in attics, keeping crawlspaces dry and routing
water away from the foundation are the best defenses.
Tip 2: Make
sure your bath fan is big enough
If the fans aren't clearing out most of the moisture in your
bathrooms after five to 10 minutes, your fans may not be moving enough air.
Fans are certified by the volume (cfm, or cubic feet per minute) of air
exhausted out of the room. To find the recommended fan capacity for your
bathroom, multiply the bathroom square footage by 1.1 (assuming an 8-ft.
ceiling; for a 9-ft. ceiling, multiply by 1.5). Check the cfm volume of your
fan, usually marked on a label under the grille. Replace it with a larger model
if it's too small for the size of your bathroom.
Tip 3: Consider
"smart" bathroom timers and humidity sensors
Bath fan timers are important because excess humidity can
cause everything from window condensation and mildew to moisture and rot inside
walls. Some new wall switch timers have dual controls for turning off both
lights and fans after a preset time. For the ultimate in smart bath fan timers,
buy a humidity-sensing fan designed to automatically turn on and off as
moisture levels at the ceiling rise and fall.
Tip 4: Squeegee your shower every time you use
bath or a shower, squeegee water off the shower walls. That eliminates at least
three-fourths of the moisture that supports mold and mildew growth.
Tip 5: Clean visible mold immediately
Surface molds grow in just about any damp location, such as the
grout lines of a ceramic tile shower. To get rid of mold, scrub with detergent
and water and let the surface dry completely. Or use a solution of 10 percent
bleach and 90 percent water (a stronger bleach solution will not give better
results). Spray or brush on the solution, let it sit 10 minutes, then rinse it
off and let dry. A nontoxic mold control product called Concrobium ($10 for 22
oz. at home centers) can be effective if used every few months.
Tip 6: Use paint with mildewcide in damp areas
in paint is usually effective for controlling surface mold in damp rooms like
bathrooms and outside in shady areas. Many paints already have mildewcide in
them. Check with your paint dealer to be sure.
Tip 7: Act quickly to stop a leak
gushing plumbing leak can dump several gallons per minute into your home. You
have to act fast to stop the stream. Shutting off the main water valve is an
obvious move. But there may still be a few gallons of water held in pipes above
the leak. Turn on the lowest faucet in the house, which will let the water
harmlessly drain out of the faucet instead of through the leaking pipe.
Tip 8: Don't
The longer things stay wet, the more likely you'll have permanent damage. Delay
can also lead to mold problems inside walls, which can cost thousands to
eradicate. So before you run off to buy plumbing parts, clean up the mess.
Tip 9: But don't act rashly
first impulse will be to wade in and rescue your stuff. But that water might be
dangerous, so put on your boots and take precautions. Any water in contact with
electricity might be deadly. Stay out of the water until you, an electrician or
your utility has turned off the power to your basement. Floodwaters may contain
toxic chemicals and will almost certainly breed dangerous bacteria. Protect
cuts and open sores from floodwaters and wear plastic gloves when handling your
Tip 10: Prevent the top causes of water damage
Don't come home to a plumbing catastrophe. Shut off the main water valve when
you leave for extended periods, use stainless steel "no-burst" hoses for
washing machines, faucets and toilets, and use frost-proof outdoor faucets.
— The Editors of The
If you are going away for an extended period of time, you may also want to considder turning off the breaker to your hot water heater, especially if you are shutting off the water. This may prevvent accidentually running the water heater out of water on your return and it will save you some money, because the water heater is one of the most costly items in your house to run.
<a href="www.advancedmolddog.com/">mold removal</a> can be tough, in situations of extreme water damage I would suggest hiring a professional. Mold, and the mycotoxins that it produces, have been linked to a variety of health problems like: Cancer, Hypersensitivity pneumonitis/pulmonary fibrosis, Pulmonary injury/hemosiderosis (bleeding), Neurotoxicity, Hematologic and immunologic disorders, Hepatic, endocrine and/or renal toxicities, gastrointestinal and/or cardiac conditions. There are plently of resources online for preventing mold and some of the things you can do yourself before a professional is needed.
I enjoy the information you present here.Lots of good informations. And I'd like to share mine.Buying a home is probably the most expensive purchase you will ever make. This is no time for you to shop for a cheap inspection. The cost of a home inspection is small relative to the value of the home being inspected. The additional cost of hiring a certified inspector is almost insignificant by comparison. As a home buyer, you have recently been crunching the numbers, negotiating offers, adding up closing costs, shopping for mortgages, and trying to get the best deals. Don't stop now! Don't let your real estate agent, a "patty-cake" inspector, or anyone else talk you into skimping here. Purchasing a home should be a rewarding experience and not one filled with grief and regret. If you want to keep your family safe and save money try Stocks Home Inspection.They will provide you with the negotiating power and peace of mind that you deserve.
Great tips of how to deal with water damage mold and mildew! Figure out where they are coming from, so you can try to fix. It is possible that can be caused by a water leak or high humidity. They can cause damage to paint and structure, and in some cases a variety of health problems. Keep your air conditioner clean and make sure that it is flowing properly. Ask your licensed electrician to check your cooling and heating system to make sure that it is operating properly to remove humidity.
I've seen fans that just blow bathroom air right into another bathroom. Totally ridiculous construction job.
Great information here for the DIYer. Great at preventing future water damage and not needing a specialist like us at waterdamage-bocaraton.com ;) in sunny Boca Raton Florida.
Excellent entry! I'm been looking for topics as interesting as this. It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
I'd definitely have to say that cleaning up immediately is important. Especially with big issues like flood damage...the longer the wait, the more time it will take to clean everything up. I like the tip in this article of having a decent bathroom fan. That's a clever way to make sure that your bathroom isn't constantly humid, which can in the long run, prevent water damage.
Great tips especially helpful for [url=kitchenbathroomremodeling.com] bathroom renovations [/url].
or Join us
Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard,
plus a dream project for your wish list!