RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Garage Security: A Burglarproof Door

• Comments 2

To get real-world garage-security advice, I've spoken with cops, insurance adjusters, even burglars. But one of my most interesting security talks was with a firefighter who routinely busts through doors to do his job. When I asked him about garage security, he told me two interesting things:

Securing a garage service door
Secure wood-panel service doors to keep your garage - and everything stored or parked inside of it - safe.

1. Lots of garages still have old, wood-panel service doors. The panels are thin and easy to break through. And once a panel is broken, you can reach inside to unlock the door. The simplest solution is to screw a ½-in. plywood panel over the inside of the door as shown. Cut lengths of 2x4 and slip them into the brackets. Place one bar about 26 in. from the floor, the other about 52 in. from the floor.   

2. A good dead bolt and a strike plate secured with beefy screws make a door difficult to kick or ram in. But for the ultimate garage security, the firefighter recommends barring the door. Steel brackets sized to hold 2x4s are available for a few bucks apiece at home centers. One bar is great; two are even better. Screw plywood strips to the framing to form a mounting surface that's flush with the inside of the door. Mount the brackets with screws or lag screws that are long enough to penetrate the framing by at least 1-1/2 in.

Attaching the brackets to bar a door
For the ultimate level of exterior door security, bar the door.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Try these other DIY home security projects:

How to Reinforce Doors: Entry Doors and Lock Reinforcemnets

Home Theft Protection: Secure Your Garage

Garage Door Tune-Up

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I don't understand what's going on in the second photo, about baring the door. Not enough information in just this one photo.

• by posted on

At Del-Air Security in Orlando Florida we do see people kicking in doors in a breaking and entering type of burglary.  Reinforcing the doors is great.  We also recommend signs at the door that say something about security surveillance in effect and/or a dog sign.  Most burglars hate dogs and will go elsewhere if there is a dog.  Motion lights too will help.  www.delairsecurity.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us