RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Don't Burn Down Your House: Preventing Clothes Dryer Fires

• Comments 1

Lint buildup in a dryer and its vent cuts the dryer's efficiency. Clothes take longer to dry, while your energy bills go up. But the biggest reason to clean out lint is that lint buildup can lead to a fire. Most experts recommend cleaning it out once a year. The best tool for cleaning the vent is a special brush with a long, flexible shaft (about $30 at most home centers). But if you want to save some money, you can use a handheld plumbing snake and a rag.

Prevent dryer fires by cleaning the vent
Disconnect the dryer from the vent and feed the plumbing snake through the vent from outside. Half of an old hand towel makes a good vent cleaner.
Using a plumbing snake to clean a dryer vent
Pull the snake through the vent and be ready for a dusty mess. Repeat the process a second time and reconnect the dryer.

— Gary Wentz, Senior Editor

Prevent home fires

Avoid a chimney fire

Prevent water damage

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

A shop vac with an extra long nose, like the kind used for cutting corners, works well, too.  Also if you use dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener these can leave a highly flammable residue on your filters.  I don't know what a recommended cleaning schedule for these are, but I wash mine quarterly with warm water and dish soap.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us