I needed a little extra storage space to organize handled tools like shovels, rakes and brooms. My walls were pretty filled up, so I thought I would buy one of those plastic tool caddies that sit on the floor. I couldn't find one that was exactly the size I needed, so I decided to build my own.

Homemade tool caddy
I built this tool caddy in less than two hours with materials I had on hand.

Here's how to do it: Start by ripping some 2x4s in half, and build two frames the exact size you need (add a cross brace if it's more than 4 ft. long). Wrap the frames in PVC-coated rabbit fence. Add strength and avoid sharp edges by folding the fencing over on all four sides, but make sure the holes in the top fence line up with the holes in the bottom. I used 1/4-in. crown carpet staples to fasten the fence to the frame. Cut the legs at 2 ft., and screw them to the frames with 3-in. screws. Screw the top frame to the wall studs to keep it from tipping over, and you're done.

I spent less than two hours building this project, and it cost me exactly $0 because I had all the materials I needed on hand. You should be able to buy everything for less than $30. My new caddy has impressed almost every visitor who's noticed it. Heck, it even impressed my wife, and that doesn't happen too often.

— Mark Petersen, Contributing Editor