RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Greenworks G-MAX Twin Force Mower

• Comments 3
Sponsored by Greenworks
Greenworks - Lawnmower 1
Overall Portrait

The latest cordless yard tools are a match for gas-powered tools. And this new mower from Greenworks is a great example. It's powered by a 40v lithium-ion battery, with a second battery that kicks in when the first runs out of juice. The power adjusts automatically so when there's less load, there's less power. But the unique feature is a pair of motors that spin two smaller blades. The small blades mean there's higher rpm for better mulching and more efficiency. The result of all these features? A really long run-time. Plenty enough for even a large lawn. And with the mower's 20-in. cutting width and light weight (50 lbs.), mowing is fast and easy. The Twin Force comes with a one-lever height adjustment, can be switched easily from mulching to bagging, and the handle folds down completely for compact storage. And like all electric mowers, it's MUCH quieter than a similar gas-powered mower.

Greenworks - Lawnmower 2
Bottom Showing Twin Blades

If you're not familiar with the Greenworks brand, it's a well-established manufacturer that builds tools for some big-name brands. You can buy Greenworks tools from online retailers, including Amazon, and from many Lowe's stores. The Twin Force mower sells for about $370, with two batteries and a charger. There are string trimmers, a chain saw and other yard tools that use the same 40v battery. Fourteen tools in all. Plus, there's a line of DigiPro tools that feature brushless motors for even greater efficiency and longer run-times.

I've been using the Twin Force mower for a couple weeks now, and I used its cousin, the single-motor model, all last summer. First off, I'm a convert to cordless yard tools. My yard isn't big, but it has a complex shape, and I love the maneuverability of these lightweight mowers. After a lifetime of listening to power tools, I'm also glad there's a little less noise when I mow the lawn. This spring, I didn't get out to mow until the grass was pretty long, and the Twin Force just plowed right through. No problem with power.

Greenworks - Lawnmower 3
Top Showing Two Battery Compartments.

So what's not to like about it? It's not self-propelled, for one thing, so if you have lots of hills, even its relatively light weight might be a burden. And you can get a basic gas-powered mower of the same capacity for $200. (However, one trip to the repair shop will set you back $100, plus the gas every summer.) So you're paying more for the benefits of cordless if all you buy is the mower. But if you also invest in a matching cordless trimmer ($170) or other tools that use the same battery (blower, pole saw, hedge trimmer, etc.), cordless is actually a better deal. I'm particularly fond of the DigiPro straight-shaft string trimmer with the brushless motor ($170), which has a bump feed and takes the standard attachments built for gas trimmers. The cordless yard tool revolution has arrived, and I'm sold!

More Information

G-Max 40 V
Greenwork Twin Force Mower

— Ken Collier, Editor in Chief

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

I have a 40-year love affair (well, sometimes a hate affair) with chainsaws. One of my first jobs was

• by posted on

I have a 40-year love affair (well, sometimes a hate affair) with chainsaws. One of my first jobs was

• by posted on

Self propelled mowers are great, but the one problem we have found in online reviews is that the slowest speed is still too fast for the majority of older people. A slightly lower gear would be a winner! For unbiased lawn mower reviews, visit www.thediyhubby.com/lawn-mower-reviews

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us