RDA Blog - Breadcrumbs

DIY Advice Blog

Get the latest information on new tools, trends and ideas for your DIY projects from The Family Handyman experts.

Build an Emergency Kit

• Comments 2
Sponsored by The Home Depot
3M First Aid Kit
3M First Aid Kit

It's been a wet and stormy spring in the Midwest. We've already had two storms that knocked out the power at our house. When the first storm hit, I was woefully unprepared. I spent the first 10 minutes fumbling around in the dark searching for flashlights. I finally found a couple in the garage, but not before I stubbed my toe on a scrap piece of cedar, which deposited a large and painful sliver in my foot. I spent the next 10 minutes hopping around in the dark searching for batteries to replace the dead ones in the flashlight.

After the flashlights were working, I examined my throbbing toe. It was a nasty wound that required scissors, gauze, tape and tweezers, all of which had to be tracked down at different locations throughout the house. Never again! I vowed that I'd be ready for the next storm. So the very next day, I made a trip to The Home Depot.

My first purchase was a 3M First Aid Kit for $20. I already owned most of the 118 items that came in the kit, but now the next time I'm clumsy, everything I need to patch me up will all be in the same location.

Next I bought a folding lantern made by Energizer. It's got a handle so it's easy to carry around, but it also has a stand to keep it upright when you set it down. Its 300 lumens light up a whole room, and the light shines 360 degrees, which comes in handy when you're passing the time playing cards. Regular flashlights light up the table OK, but the players get stuck in the shadows, which makes it hard for them to read their cards and hard for me to keep an eye on them (not that anyone in my family would ever dream of cheating). One of the best features of this lantern is that it folds up nice and compact.

Folding Lantern
Energizer Folding Lantern

Since storms were on my mind, I also ended up buying a waterproof fire-safe. In case of some disaster, our homeowner's insurance will replace most of our stuff, but certain heirlooms can't be replaced at any price. The Home Depot has a large selection in stock to choose from. I bought one made by Sentry for $29.

Before leaving the Depot, I bought a bottle of propane to run my camping stove if power stayed off for more than a day and we wanted a hot meal. I also bought plenty of batteries for the new lantern and extras for my flashlights at home. Finally, I bought a sturdy storage bin to keep it all together. Here's how I filled my emergency kit:

3M First Aid Kit

Bottle of propane

Matches

Candles

Energizer Folding Lantern

Extra batteries

Small battery-operated radio

Playing cards

Hand wipes

Bottled water

Pint of whiskey for Dad

The rule in the house is that no one is allowed to pilfer the emergency kit. If the TV remote runs out of batteries, too bad—the batteries in the kit are off limits!

June is National Safety Month, which is kind of fitting because it was the first weekend in June that I got to try out my new emergency kit. Things went much smoother this second time around: no stumbling in the dark; the kids listened to their music; we all played cards (no cheating); Dad had his libations...all was as it should be.

— Mark Petersen, Contributing Editor

Blog - Post Feedback Form TFH
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
LEAVE A COMMENT
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Comments
    • by posted on

Mark you are the MAN!  I have been telling myself to make one of these for the house and each of our cars but never seem to get started.  Maybe I will start today since it is no tax weekend here in South Carolina.  Keep up the good work.%0d%0a%0d%0aRobert B.

• by posted on

I LIKE IT

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
    Save and organize projects in your Project Binder with a FREE Membership! Join today»

Free OnSite Newsletter

Get timely DIY projects for your home and yard, plus a dream project for your wish list!

Follow Us